Myopia Treatment in Northport, NY
Early and appropriate treatment for myopia or nearsightedness can effectively slow its progression, especially in children. Dr. Young is our optometrist in Northport NY who specializes in providing myopia control treatments and services at Main Street Optometry. Using advanced optical equipment and technology, we will perform a series of eye and vision tests to check for myopia and determine how much vision correction is required. In keeping with our commitment to helping you or your child see clearer, we may recommend eyeglasses, contact lenses, or another effective vision correction therapy.
Myopic patients see objects near clearly but those far away appear blurry. This happens because your eyes cannot focus and bend (refract) light on the retina correctly. Genetics and environmental factors that cause visual stress or corneal changes increase the risk of nearsightedness. Reduced time outdoors and excess near-vision work, e.g., prolonged screen time on a computer or tablet, are leading causes of myopia onset and progression in children and teens.
Typical Myopia Symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue or strain
- Excessive blinking
- Watching TV up close
- Difficulty with night vision
Myopia Control for Clearer Vision
Blurry vision can interfere with safety and academic performance. Early evaluation and treatment can significantly reduce myopia symptoms and decrease the risk of glaucoma, cataract, macular degeneration, or retinal detachments later in life.
Myopia Treatment by Our Optometrist in Northport NY
Our eye care specialist will consider your age and the level of nearsightedness when deciding on the right vision-enhancing therapies for managing myopia. Advancement in optometry makes it possible to offer these effective treatments:
- Eyeglasses: Wearing single-vision or multifocal eyeglasses (progressive or bifocal) helps to correct nearsightedness in children including those with progressive myopia. Eyeglasses let your eyes focus light in the spot on the retina that produces the clearest images.
- Contact Lenses: Single-vision, bifocal or multifocal lenses work like eyeglasses to redirect and focus light on the retina, although they provide a wider central vision.
- Orthokeratology: You'll wear a series of gas-permeable corneal reshaping lenses during sleep which improves daytime vision. It also gradually reduces the lengthening of the eyeball to enhance eye focus.
- LASIK: Dr. Young may refer you to an ophthalmologist for LASIK evaluation and surgery. This is a safe laser procedure done to reshape the cornea. It permanently corrects nearsightedness by changing how your eyes focus.
Atropine eye drops, reducing near-vision work, taking "vision breaks," and increasing time outdoors also help correct the refractive error. We also provide pre and post-operative care for patients who had LASIK or refractive eye surgery.
Visit our Northport Eye Doctor Today!
Our professional team at Main Street Optometry will ensure you get the right style and fit eyeglasses or contact lenses to match your needs and lifestyle. Call (631) 757-6190 to schedule an appointment at our Northport NY clinic.